Sunday, August 18, 2013

Almost Finished! Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Coffee Table

We are getting close now.  I have one last step to do - the DARK WAX.  Dumdumdumdum................

This is how it looked BEFORE:

This is what I have completed so far:

I bought the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, Clear Wax, and Dark Wax.  I also purchased her large wax brush.  Being the cheapskate that I am, I did not buy her special paint brush or the small wax brush.  Do I regret this?  Yes.  I should have just gotten everything because I would have only had to pay postage once.  But nooooooooo.  I thought I would be smart and find similar brushes at one of the many paint stores and home improvement stores in my town.  Didn't happen.

I ended up using a nice, new Wooster brush to paint.  It actually worked fine, but I'm still getting the Annie Sloan one for my next project.

First stir your paint.  You will notice that I used a very large knitting needle.  You can use a paint stirrer if you like - I couldn't find one.




 
Without sanding, priming, or anything, I slapped on the first coat of Paris Grey paint.  It went on like a dream.  In the video tutorial that I watched, she said that if you are going to  paint the knobs, just leave them on - so I did.  Next time, though, I will take them off and paint separately because it was kind of a pain getting in the nooks and crannies (especially when I got to the waxing step).
 

I didn't need to, but I let the first coat dry overnight.  The paint actually dried in about an hour, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Then, I put on the second coat.  It looked great.  (I forgot to take a picture of the 2nd coat, but it looked just like the first)

Some people put on the clear wax before they distress, however, the video that I watched said to sand before you wax, so that's what I did.  I used a sanding block with 100 grit sandpaper and began sanding around all of the edges and corners.  I went a little heavier on the corners because that is a place that would naturally get nicked with age, and we want it to look like it's happened over the years, right?  When I got the edges and corners all scuffed up, I went for the flat parts.  I was a little scared about the flat areas.  I just wasn't sure how much was too much, so I played it safe and just sanded a bit here and there.  And this is how it ended up.

 

The next day, I did the Clear Wax.  As I mentioned, I had purchased the Annie Sloan large wax brush so I was prepared.  The brush worked great.  I just dipped it in the wax and started brushing into the table firmly.  I went around the sides first, leaving the top for last.  On the top, I brushed back and forth in long strokes going from one edge to the other with each stroke.  The clear wax deepens the color of the paint slightly, so it is easy to see where you have been and what's left.  I let the wax cure overnight and now it feels smooth and velvety.

Today, I went downstairs with my Dark Wax, extra fine steel wool, rags, and stencil brush in hand.  Then, I walked back upstairs and watched the tutorial again (for the 3rd time).  As I mentioned, I did not buy the small wax brush, which is what you would use to apply the dark wax.  I was going to use a small stencil brush, but I've come to  my senses.  I'm going to follow the rules (for a change) and order the rest of the brushes from Robyn Story Designs in Tampa, FL.

Stay tuned for the "reveal".

Peace,
Cyndi

15 comments:

  1. Very Nice!!!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I was looking like this. Really it is very useful and informative post. Thanks for sharing. Thanks again! my company

    ReplyDelete