Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving has come and gone.

Happy Thanksgiving! I had a very nice Thanksgiving with my family. My husband and I travelled an hour north to have dinner with my parents. My sister and brother-in-law were there, along with my sister's children. My niece and nephew are in their early 20's, so it was all grown-ups.

For years I cooked Thanksgiving dinner at my house, which I really enjoyed. When my grandfather (who lives 3 hours south of us) decided he couldn't travel anymore, we started going down there for the day. My grandfather is 94 now. He has lost his hearing and eyesight so it's become difficult to communicate with him. Because he's lost two very important senses, I think it really makes him uncomfortable when alot of people are in the house. He knows that people are moving around, but he can't hear them or see their faces, so he thinks strangers are there to take advantage of him.

My mother has taken over the holiday dinners. I am very proud of her. She's never really spent a great deal of time in the kitchen. She was a young wife in the early 60's when companies decided to make things quick and easy for the modern housewife. When she saw TV dinners, frozen foods, and mashed potatoes in a box, she said "that's for me!!" I grew up eating these kinds of meals and didn't even like "real food".

Now that my mother is in her early 70's, she's been cooking. She bought a bread machine the day before Thanksgiving so that she could bake bread. She did an excellent job with the turkey. It was beautiful and it wasn't dry! She plans to have Christmas dinner at their house too. I, for one, am very happy about my parent's new holiday hosting. As far as I'm concerned, we can have all future holiday dinners at their house. When my mom get's too old to cook and my dad's too old to cut the turkey, my sister and I can pick up the slack. It just feels better there.


My, day after Thanksgiving, art project
This is an acrylic, mixed media piece on a 10X10 canvas
















Oh yea, one last thing.  My mother makes fruitcake and, even though many people do not like it, we love it.   Here's a Squidoo article that I wrote last year about my mother's fruitcake!





No comments:

Post a Comment