Thursday, May 2, 2013

All About Faces

I worked on my faces again today.  Several months ago, I downloaded a video by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer called All About Faces.  I had watched it before, but today I decided to actually DO the exercises.  I had purchased a couple of these little chipboard things at Michaels for $1.50.  It's 4 pieces of 5 X 5 inch chipboard, held together in the corner with a metal ring.




I gessoed each piece of chipboard, front and back.  The one in the photo, above, had decorative edges.  The one that I used for my faces had straight edges.


First she shows you how to draw the outline of a face and learn the different areas that are recessed and protruding and how to shade them accordingly.


Then we moved on to painting a face.  Basically  I drew the outline, painted the hair, then used 3 colors to shade the face.

Here's my laughing girl -

She does this little tag exercise in the video.  I used a tag that I had decorated with alcohol inks, acrylic paint, and stencils.  I think this turned out really cute.




Here's a link to the workshop.  I enjoyed it. Julie also shows you how to collage a face with fabric, paint a face on fabric, and using a stencil for the faces.  It's $16.95 and you can download it right away.  I have gotten a few videos from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer.  She is very natural and easy to understand.  She shows all of the supplies, which I really appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment