Monday, November 5, 2012

Playing around with stencils

My original idea was to paint a canvas with lots of different colors, then cut out paper dolls and attach them to the canvas, then paint white over it.

So I flipped thru several fashion magazines and carefully cut out the models.  Then I glued the magazine models to cardstock and cut out the dolls again.  I was pretty happy with the way that the canvas turned out.  I used spray paint and acrylic paints.  Then I made a mistake.  I started stamping various designs over the paint with archival ink - bad choice.  It seems to repel paint.  So when I spray painted the canvas white, you can see little black flowers peeking thru here and there.  As you can see, the paint got under the stencil so I didn't get the sharp lines that I had envisioned.  Even though I'm putting a photo of it up now, I'm going to do a lot more work on it.  This will just be my bottom layer.

However, I did discover that any time you cut out a paper doll, you also have a reverse stencil, so I played around with some of my citra solv papers and convolution papers that I have made and this is what I came up with.

I think these are kind of cute. Maybe I will make some small ones that I could put on greeting cards.  Sure - I'll get right on that.  See you later.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh!!!! This is so Cool!!!! I think they would make great greeting cards too. I have always wanted to paint in mixed media and collages. I have my coffee sitting next to me and I'm getting ready to dig into reading your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. As you can see, my blog is fairly new, but I'm really enjoying it. Again, thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete