Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Little Piece of Faith

I had gotten some little 5X5 canvases for a dollar at Michaels.  They were liitle inexpensive canvases that already had a picture on them for a child to paint.  I figured that, for a dollar, they would be used for something.

Last night I was looking for something fast to do.  I brushed a couple coats of gesso on the canvas to cover the black picture outline.  I stamped on sheet music with black Stazon ink then cut a heart out of  a book page from an old book, then painted it with watery green Soy Paint.  I didn't have any pre-made chipboard letters.  So, I printed FAITH off the computer, enlarged it, taped it to some card stock, and used a razor knife to cut out each letter.  (You then have a FAITH stencil that you can use later).  I glued the heart and letters to the canvas with gel medium, added some charcoal pencil around the heart and dry-brushed Liquitex Black paint onto the letters.  I added some more black paint lightly around the edge of the canvas, then sprayed with clear archival, semi-gloss varnish.  Start to finish, it took about an hour.  I'm going to do some other words.  Maybe, BRAVE, STRONG, HAPPY, etc.

I must be honest - this was not, totally, my creation.  I was blog-hopping and saw a banner that had plaques very similar to this.  I've tried to search my history so that I could find the blog and give the artist credit, because I can't remember her name.  I haven't been able to find it yet, but when I do, I will add it to this post.  I don't want to take credit for any art that is not my idea.  You know, it's difficult because I'm always finding inspiration from different artists.  I'll see a technique or style and want to try it.  My intention is to use all of this acquired inspiration to build my very own style.  Many of the artists that I admire have tutorials and workshops to teach their techniques,  As a matter of fact, I am taking a workshop rigt now by Suzi Blu, called Fairies, so I will be painting some fairies very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment