Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tile Coasters


Tonight it's tile coasters.  This is all you need to make a pretty set of coasters:

4 inch ceramic tiles (they're about 13 cents a piece)
Decorative paper (I used scrapbook paper)
Mod Podge
Paintbrush or foam brush
Polycrylic (I used Minwax clear satin)
Felt circles or tiny rubber "feet"

Cut the paper into 3.75" squares.  Cover the tile with Mod Podge.  Center the paper on the tile.  I used an old credit card to smooth out the paper and make sure that it was completely adhered around the edges.  Brush a coat of Mod Podge over the paper.  It looks nice when you brush it in one direction so that you don't have crazy brush strokes visible.  When this layer dries, apply another layer of Mod Podge.  This time, brush it in the opposite direction.  You don't have to, but I think it looks better this way.  When this coat is entirely dry, brush on a coat of polycrylic, covering the sides of the tile also.  Lastly, attach some felt circles or rubber "feet" at each corner of the bottom of the tile.  That's it!

These make a really nice gift.  In fact, I gave my sister a set on Thanksgiving.  I going to put some up for sale in my etsy shop within the next day or so.

Peace,
Cyndi



No comments:

Post a Comment