Sunday, February 3, 2013

Could I Live Without Coffee?

I've been drinking coffee every day for about 35 years.  I love it.  I have my first cup minutes after I wake up and drink my last cup right before I go to sleep.  I really can't get going in the morning without it.  However, it doesn't keep me up at night.  I can drink a cup and go right to sleep.

My father, also an 8-10 cup a day coffee drinker, has just been told that he should stop.  He has had several cardiac issues over the past 20 years.  This past week, he had a couple arterial fibrillation episodes and the cardiologist told him that he should cut out coffee.  Of course, when speaking with my father, I gave him the old "sometimes we have to make changes in our life", and "your body will get used to not having the caffeine".  Inside I was thinking "please, please, don't ever make me have to cut out coffee"

People that are not coffee drinkers do not understand how comforting that first cup of coffee is in the morning. What about that delicious "after dinner" cup?  Or that nice warm "working on the computer" cup that I'm having right now.

I've never been a real connoisseur of the coffee bean.  However, there is one coffee that really stood out.  I was in Costa Rica for my friend's wedding about 10 years ago.  While having breakfast the first morning, all of the wedding guests were freaking out about the coffee that the hotel was serving.  My husband and I usually drink our coffee with cream and sugar, but we were drinking it black.  When we left everyone was getting on the plane with bags of the delicious  Cafe Britt. After that, another friend of ours that owns property in Costa Rica, has brought back Britt coffee for me every year. It can be ordered online now.

So, could I give up coffee?  Sure I could, but I DON'T WANT TOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment