Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Great Thrift Store Day

There isn't too much that I like better than a thrift store or a yard sale.  I love estate sales too, but they always seem to be a little pricey.

I am so excited about my first item.  As I've mentioned before, I want to distress some furniture with chalk paint.  I did make my own chalk paint and I'll show you the results from that a little later.  It was OK, but I'm getting ready to break down and buy the real stuff - Annie Sloan.

I didn't actually get this piece at a thrift store.  It was a Craigslist.org find.

How great is this going to look re-finished with chalk paint and wax?!?  I think I'm going to do a light greyish color, but I'll have to look at the Annie Sloan paint chart and see.  Annie Sloan Chalk paint is not sold in my town, so I'm going to have to order it online.  I hope it doesn't take long to get, because I am really excited about do this.

I watched the best videos by Christen Bensten on using the chalk paint.  I'm feeling pretty confident.

Next, I found this cute little chair.  I plan to paint this with the chalk paint also.  I need to go to JoAnn's tomorrow to get some pretty fabric to recover the seat.

 
And lastly - a gorgeous frame.  The print is actually kind of pretty, however, I'm always looking for nice ornate frames and this one is great.  My plan is to paint the frame and make a chalkboard.  It's 24" wide and 28" high, so it would make a really beautiful piece.
 
 
When I got home from the thrift store, I went into a little painting frenzy.  I finally painted the pedestal cake plate that I made.  I glued a silvertone tray to a brass candle holder.  I still need to add a clearcoat.
 
 And, I painted some more Sirocco.  The shelf is actually the same green color as the cake stand, above.  It doesn't look green in the photo.  The shelf has 2 sconces that go with it.
 
That's it for now.  Peace, Cyndi 


No comments:

Post a Comment